VISEO Research and Development
Today many companies see innovation as a key factor for their development. Nowadays innovation is usually associated with two main ingredients: technology and customers willing to buy or use this technology.
Research and Development is a powerful driver for innovation.
For all these reasons VISEO decided to foster its growth through Research and Innovation. With the creation in November 2011 of its Research and Development center, the group supports the development of its innovative software publishing activities.
The main mission of the Research and Development (R & D) Lab is to support the VISEO innovation process in order to create an asset of innovative technologies.
It also aims at exploring new markets and anticipating customer needs while capitalizing on the expertise acquired by VISEO business and technical teams.
The research and development lab also works with external partners through collaborative international, European, national and regional research Projects, but also in response to internal needs expressed by the different business units of the group.
Missions and goals of the R & D lab
- Support VISEO growth through Innovation and Research
- Support VISEO’s position as a software publisher
- Position VISEO as a key factor in the international scientific community
- Position VISEO as a key factor of innovation
- Support the development and transfer of technologies
- Explore new markets
- Support the adoption of market innovation by including the participation of end users at an early stage of technological development
- Explore innovation opportunities through the definition and participation of collaborative R&D projects with international and national partners
- Build partnerships with several public and private institutions through pioneer projects
- Ensure consistency between research programs, company's needs and collaborative projects
- Participate in the definition of research direction in collaboration with international, European and national research organizations, taking into account trends and emerging issues
Before joining the VISEO group, Frédérique SEGOND was Principal Scientist and manager of the Parsing and Semantics area (ParSem) at the Xerox Research Centre Europe. She joined Xerox as a research scientist in 1993 and worked on LOCOLEX, an intelligent dictionary lookup (European project COMPASS). Afterwards, within the PARGRAM (Parallel Grammars) project, she was responsible for the design and implementation of a French Lexical Functional Grammar (LFG). She then led the Lexical Sense Disambiguation LSD project where she worked on the EAGLES, ROMANSEVAL and EuroWordNet projects.
Throughout her research career she has developed, worked and coordinated about twenty collaborative research projects such as ALADIN, Europeanna, CACAO and Galateas.
Frédérique earned a PhD in Applied Mathematics at the Ecole des Hautes Etudes in Socil Sciences in Paris where she implemented categorical French grammar at IBM-France. After a one year post-doc at IBM-Watson in Yorktown working on the links between syntax and semantics, she was in charge of starting a research and teaching activity in a French Telecom school.
Frederique is co-author of six books, over 50 scientific papers and 5 patents. She belongs to several scientific committees. She is a member of the CONTINT steering committee of the French National Agency for Research (ANR), President of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ATALA), member of the ELRA board (European Language Resources Association), member of the board of the University Stendhal, and also provides scientific expertise to the European Commission. She is also on the “qualification list” of Professors of the University of Paris 7.